Thursday, August 25, 2011

Inclusion in the Community- YMCA


This summer, I spent some of my time trying to get in shape for my wedding in October. I belong to the YMCA in Philadelphia. While working out, I thought a lot of this class and the benefits and improvements that can be made within many places I go on a daily basis. I pondered hard about which place I wanted to do, and thought since I spend much time at the gym, this is a perfect opportunity.
My YMCA is a single floor building with many great accommodations and a few improvements to adjust. The Americans with Disabilities Act played a great part when this building was created because of the friendly floor plan. This Act was put in place for protection of individuals from discrimination. This building does not discriminate at all and is very inviting for all people no matter the situation. “The Americans with Disabilities Act was signed into law on July 26, 1990, by President George H. Bush”. (Hulett, 2009) I noticed many accommodations that can increase the population of my gym. The pool has different variation in water height levels and steps leading into the pool. I know firsthand how important steps and water levels are as my Aunt has Multiple Sclerosis. She looks forward to going to the pool and because it has these accommodations it attracted her to that specific fitness center.

I also believe having machines with all different amounts of weights is vital for all people ages and needs.
“Section 504, which prohibits discrimination against individuals with disabilities in any federally funded program, is codified at 29 U.S.C.” (Hulett, 2009) Due to Section 504, the YMCA has provided many funded camps and water classes that benefit people with disabilities. I truly believe the YMCA puts people first. Whether it is they financially can’t afford a membership, difficulties with weight gain or living with a disability, they work with each individual to maintain a positive environment, and make sure they are happy. “Title III expressly prohibits discrimination against individuals with disabilities by commercial entities, nonprofit organizations and privately owned business that provide services and accommodations to the public. Title III mandates that facilities of public accommodation other existing and new be accessible to individuals with disabilities. All new facilities fall under the specific regulations of this title, which provide prescriptive guidance regarding accessibility and architectural barriers. Existing facilities must remove architectural barriers if this can do done reasonably and without extensive expense. (Hulett, 2009) The first YMCA was founded in London in 1844. Since then, many adjustments have been made to the newer building to accommodate for Title III and strive to reach their slogan "a healthy spirit, mind, and body”.
YMCA also provides wonderful summer camps for students to learn, be creative, while maintaining a healthy lifestyle all summer. The “No Child Left Behind Act” plays an intricate role as they don’t deny services to children because of racial and ethnic groups, as well as children with disabilities and English Language learners. I was fortunate to have worked the YMCA camp 3 years ago and found it just like teaching in the classroom. It is a very structured program and wonderful for students who may need consistency yearly. I am also thrilled to announce that on August 8, 2011, a local YMCA in Abington was awarded 10,000 for their Special Needs Program. This was granted by CCRES Education and Behavioral Health Services. This money will go towards investing in camps and classes for children with disabilities so they can enjoy what all children their age enjoy doing!! This is such wonderful news and brings awareness to all people!
While completing my floor plan, it was interesting to notate where improvements need to be made. The biggest concern I have with my YMCA is the automatic doors for each room and more space between equipment. I have noticed even people who are elderly, struggle with opening the doors as they are heavy and not easy to push open. The space between each piece of equipment is also an issue for all people. Around 5:00p.m it gets very busy and people are constantly excusing themselves to get by one another as you’re working out on a machine. This worries me for people in a wheelchair, as it is difficult when it gets crowded and busy. Another improvement that could benefit people with sensory issues could be new lighting in the fitness center and locker rooms. Because this YMCA was founded in the 1800’s many of the lights make noises, flicker, and have a yellowish tint in the locker room. To me this is not a distraction, however someone with Autism it could be a huge distraction and could lead to something more severe such as not wanting to come back.
Many YMCA’s are doing the best they can to promote a positive environment for all people. There were many accommodations that caught my eye while creating the floor plan that I never realized. This assignment opened my eyes to seeing the big picture when I open the doors to the many places I go

No comments:

Post a Comment